Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Amour Brisé

Shining platinum band
Outstretched by his hand
Diamond encrusted and marquise cut
…Apprehensive somewhat
Convinced I never wanted this
A love fit for timeless bliss, didn’t exist
Blinded by the look of love in his eyes
I took flight, soaring through the skies
Swept up in a romanticized dream
Perceived things only as they seemed
The most sacred symbol of a love so true
Placed upon my finger with the words “I do”
He promised to love, honor and cherish me for life
I promised to do the same as I vowed to be his wife
The ring, a circle, with no beginning and no end
To embody eternity with the ideal that love shall transcend
My ring once beautiful and whole
In disrepair now…broken banded, dull and missing stones
Coincidental…symbolic…ironic…
When this chapter’s end is catastrophic

We ran before we walked
We kissed before we talked
High on notions of love at first sight
When you know, you know and it’s just right
Head first into the abyss we dove
Entangled like flies in the lies we wove
Trust thrown out the window quick
We never had a chance without it
A roller coaster of highs, but mostly lows
Feeling suffocated and disillusioned by woes
Every day another fight
Followed by another sleepless night
Vile words from his lips to my ears
Acting out to escape his fears
Jealousy and passive aggressive forms of control
Knock down, drag out; the only way we’ve ever known
Broken beginnings lead to tragic ends
Sometimes, some things are just too broken to mend

Love is but a selfish need
When you only make your lover bleed
No longer will I be chastised by the lies
Nor will I paralyze our demise
Enough is enough and I’ve had my fill
I can’t go on, I haven’t the will
For this is not what love is supposed to be
Fighting constantly to live together in harmony
I’ve begged and I’ve pleaded and waited
Oh how I’ve waited
Too much resentment now, far too jaded
Apologies and promises of change
Have no effect on those estranged
An invention of truth, a desperate attempt
When it is the only option one has left
I was the rock, now smashed to pieces
I can’t stay to just console his grievances
I loved him through his darkest moments
I forgave him every time he begged for atonement
I’ve done everything I could possibly do
And still it wasn’t enough to break through

The ring feels phantom still
And for a while, it probably will
But how much longer was I to go on
Searching through the dark to find my dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment